MY Opinion: My trip to Kuala Lumpur




It has been a long while since I set foot onto Malaysia, my neighbouring country.
News of Singaporeans being robbed in Johor Bahru and other parts are hardly rare. They send shivers down the spine of those who rarely go to Malaysia. 

This, of course, includes my family.

The last round I went to Malaysia (Penang, KL, etc) for a short stopover, I wasn't particularly impressed. What shocked me then was how terrible a state the toilets were there. It was, literally, a hole in the ground. (A black hole of nothingness and the potential exit for a kingdom of centipedes.) I would have expected at the very least some sort of squat toilet feature but no(!), there was just simply a black hole for you ladies to squat over and pee.
But now, it's quite different. I do notice that Kuala Lumpur is certainly becoming very modern. In fact, I think it will catch up with Singapore soon and become a formidable competitor. And here's why:

Random photo of the city skyline. 

The food is cheap and good.
I could get a good meal at a restaurant for more than half the price in Singapore. With an attractive exchange rate of SGD 1: 2.45RM, this means that everything eaten here is really affordable and of good quality. For example, my family spent RM 18.80 per pax at a Chinese restaurant at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur which gave us a plate of chicken meat, a generous portion of crunchy beansprouts, fragrant chicken rice, a honey lemon drink and guiling gao for dessert. I’m sure the same equivalent would cost SGD 18.80 or more. So, you get good quality food at a really cheap price. A total steal, in my opinion.
"orange chicken" RM6.90 (before tax) at KLCC foodcourt.

Food prices at a family cafe in KL

The toilets have now improved greatly.
No longer do I see holes in the ground which function as a squat toilet of “upmarket” malls in Kuala Lumpur like I used to a couple of years ago. In place of them are gorgeously clean toilet seats and a ready supply of toilet paper. Like most Asian women, we seem obsessed with the quality of our toilet experience. I’m a rather snobby Singaporean when it comes to toilet, and, the toilets have my approval! You don’t need to hold in your pee the next time you hang out downtown in Kuala Lumpur! 



You can buy many things found in Singapore, but at a lower rate
Are you a fan of brands like Skinfood, Naruko, Topman and others? Chances are, they can be bought cheaper in Malaysia! Yes, you heard me, cheaper! This is despite the fact that both countries have to import these products. (I think it is due to the cheaper rental cost in Malaysia.) This is a dream come true for Singaporean and international shoppers alike! Skinfood is around 30% cheaper in Malaysia. A side note: Skinfood products are not organic or 100% natural as what many believe. But, it’s so hard to resist the cutesy packaging!

I got this original Rilakkuma hanger-thing for RM40! = SGD 16!
You can't get this at such a price in Singapore.

The locals are friendly and many can speak English
Yeah, we all heard about how Malaysians can’t speak English well. Fret not when you’re in the town areas. The staff is usually able to converse in English. While not everyone can speak fluently, I’m sure it wouldn’t be that difficult to communicate with the locals. In fact, it seems like they do enjoy speaking English, as it reflects an “upper class” image. (That is, of course, merely a hypothesis. Do not quote me on this.) This is in contrast to Singaporeans whom I feel are far more snobby and reserved as sales staff. This means that if you don’t dress well, chances are you’ll get a blatantly different treatment than those who walk in sashaying their branded totes. (This is not because I’m a tourist as I think many of their staff mistook me for being a Malaysian as I could utter a few words in Melayu; often, they would reply in elaborate conversational Melayu which I could not grasp).

Also, knowing that Chinese people aren't particularly liked, I was expecting Malays to outwardly dislike me. My last trip to KL did indeed made me experience plenty of 'eye-rolling' from some Malay salesgirls who realised I couldn't speak Melayu. But this time, I didn't face anything of that sorts. All were really friendly people, which is awesome.

The train service is cheap and good
We all know how many taxis in Malaysia refused to use the meter system for charging their rides. Fortunately, the train service is a good substitute for the taxis. They are rather new and each train comes around 4-5 minutes during the time I was there. In doubt, approach the ticketing master and he’ll help you with your queries.


Of course, nothing’s 100% good in Malaysia. I’d like to point out a few areas that made my stay less satisfactory


Safety still isn’t very good
I see tons of security guards patrolling buildings of importance during my stay. Also, if you walked into departmental stores, there’ll always be guards around. And, in Watsons, the security guard would sometimes tail you. I hate being followed. It’s one of my pet peeves especially when shopping in Singapore.

Stop tailing me, you horrible sales people. I’m not a thief!

Moreover, when night falls, it does feel very different and threatening. On our first night there, there was a man on a motorcycle stalking us right outside the KLCC. It was a very scary experience, to say the least. So, unless you’re a hulking man (probably of Caucasian descent), nighttime is not good for tourists to venture out. Oh, and it is even more dangerous if you’re Chinese since it is well-known that Chinese are somewhat targeted by the robbers in Malaysia.

Security in Singapore obviously reigns supreme.

The rice quality is quite bad
In Singapore, the rice that comes with even “cheaper” hawker food is alright. Once in a while you will get some that seems to have worms in them (it’s called unethical hawkers!) But in Malaysia poor quality rice seems common. The hawker food serve rice that are badly polished and the taste is inferior. There’s some sort of strange taste to them. Only when you dine at restaurants do you get decent quality rice and fabulous food. So, if you eat a lot of rice, this is something that is pretty unsatisfactory. 


Locals still get discriminated based on their ethnicity
We were shopping at a departmental store one day when this wonderful Indian staff aided my dad in his purchases. She was fluent in English, Melayu and even Mandarin! According to my dad, she was extremely helpful and pointed out good promotions and tips when shopping in Malaysia. So impressed by her service was my dad that he decided to write a commendation feedback to the departmental store. She sadly told him that it was of no use, as her superior would tear the feedback once he/she realized it commended this Indian lady. In her words, she said, “How can an Indian ever get promoted? Impossible.”
I’m rather shocked by the blatant discrimination she received. Certainly this wouldn’t happen in my country, Singapore.
Furthermore, although the Chinese community is sizeable in Malaysia, I have not seen a single Chinese salesman during my trip. Even the Chinese food sold in stores were served by Malays or Indians. That’s really strange. Of course I’m not trying to imply anything but overall my stay made me feel that there is a certain undercurrent of discrimination in Malaysia that did not settle well with me.

Prices advertised may often be before tax
This does not refer to restaurants, which charge a 10% service charge and a 6% tax, which is equally common in Singapore. Rather, even hawkers at regular food stalls will add on a 6% charge on top of their food prices. So, while this isn’t really a turn off, it didn’t make me feel too happy about it.


Well, that is all for my experience in Kuala Lumpur! I’m likely to visit KL again as it wasn’t all that bad! In fact it was pretty awesome if not for that scary dude stalking us. Bring lots of money though if you’re intending to go shopping(things can be pricey in KL!) 

Thanks for reading!
XOXO
That Whimsical Blogger!



Comments

Popular Posts