My Swedish Adventure - Part One



Hello you guys, I am bwaaaack. Or, as they say in Swedish, hej

I am currently on a 4-month exchange in Sweden and will spend my time blogging about it :3
I have since spent around a month here and every day I learn something new/different about the Swedes versus life back in Asia. In this post, it'll be about how I find Sweden :P (I've been asked this question many times by Swedes!)


1. KALLT! (Cold!)

Oh boy the weather is just plain cold compared to Singapore, but I got used to it after a few weeks. When I first arrived in late August, daytime temperature was around sixteen to twenty degrees and in the night it was around ten or eleven. I was just freezing in the first two weeks or so until my body adjusted. Honestly, the cold is bearable if it was not windy. The winds are often a lot colder than the average temperature and it feels like I'm getting whipped in the face every time the wind blows. :( 

See the duckies trying to keep warm? Yeah Sweden is cold.
2. EXPENSIVE

Why you so expensive, Sweden?! Anyway, things here cost between three to four times more compared to equivalents in Singapore. A McDonald's meal, for instance, costs around S$12-$15. A regular cafe meal costs over S$20 and a basic restaurant food charges above S$20 per plate. :< It's a lot more economical to just stay in a cook all day (and hone my cooking skills mwahahahaha.)

3. NICE SCENERY

The nice thing about Sweden is that it has many beautiful sceneries that you can explore and immense yourself in. Gamla Uppsala, for instance, offers a lovely countryside escape that's just 30 minutes away from central Uppsala (never mind the fact that there are the Viking hills which are essentially ancient burial grounds). Unlike Singapore when I feel utterly icky and insect-phobic, I'm pretty happy to go frolicking in the parks or woods here.

So there, that's the 3 big things about Sweden for me in the first few weeks :p

More to come later!

Toodles, stay healthy and awesome everyone :)

Comments

Popular Posts